Tuesday, January 18, 2011

How I fixed my dreaded slice and how you can too.

It is one of the biggest and worst problems that most amateur golfers face.  They hit the dreaded slice or banana ball as some like to say.  I was one of those people who constantly sliced every shot I had when I first started.  I admit I am not  perfect in this area now but I would say that I only accidentally hit a bad slice 1 out of every 20 to 30 shots.  How did I fix my chronic problem?  Well first of all I bought a swing training that that helped dramatically. 

The momentus weighted swing trainer was so helpful for me.  I bought the pro edition which is the heaviest one that they make.  The reason it works so well to cure your slice is that it is so heavy that it forces you to swing on a more correct plane.  It is just about impossible to fully come over the top in your swing with this club.  This means that you hit straighter shots without really even trying to. 

Secondly, a huge aspect that most golfers overlook is the grip.  Many golfers do not know how to grip the club properly which can cause a slice.  This club also comes with a molded grip that forces your hands to stay in the proper position.  If you can afford this club, buy it.  It will do wonders for your swing.  It is also much better and heavier than those slide on weights that they sell. 

A third tip to try is to draw a straight line on your golf ball.  Place the ball on the ground and point the line just right of your target.  As you prepare to hit the ball, you must imagine swinging the club on that line.  If you follow that line, it will produce a draw or a right to left ball flight that many of you cannot produce.  Just really focus on the line and swinging directly down it with a square club face. 

Lastly, I cannot stress this enough.  You much practice, practice, and practice.  This is not easy and you cannot cure your slice overnight.  You don't even have to be at the range to practice this.  You can do this anywhere you have room to practice a full swing. 

I have included the picture of the training club I was talking about and a helpful video by a PGA professional that you can watch to further illustrate my points.  

1 comment: